Google+

Friday, December 26, 2014

Designer Focus: Pallavi Mohan


Indian designer, Pallavi Mohan's edgy yet easy to wear designs have been know to create quite a stir in the industry for quite some time now. In fact, with famous celebrities, such as, Priyanka Chopra, Neha Dhupia and Shraddha Kapoor sporting her designs, she is on the way to become a household name. She is also creative force for the “Made in India” label through Magnolia Martinique Pvt Ltd where she has been designing, marketing & overseeing manufacturing for foreign labels like Roberto Cavalli, Jean Paul Gaultier, Guess and Miss Sixty among other international labels, for nearly five years now. The Purplenista caught up with her for an exclusive interview where she talks about herself, her label 'Not So Serious' and her new collection 'A Walk on the Wild Side'.


Priyanka Chopra and Neha Dhupia in Pallavi Mohan's creations
The Purplenista: Do tell us something about yourself. What was your motivation behind entering the fashion industry? 

Pallavi: I have studied Art from University of Arts London, Camberwell College of Arts & Design and further went on to hone my skills in Textile design by completing a Bachelors degree in Textiles from University of Arts London, Chelsea College of Art & Design. 


I have been painting since I was five. I always thought that I would do something in the field of art. Designing garments was an accident and it is something I had never thought of. I met my husband who is a garment exporter and I just got into it without a plan. 


Designer Pallavi Mohan

The Purplenista: If you were not a fashion designer, what career would you have chosen and why? 


Pallavi: A traveller. For me travel has been an all-consuming desire, my first love. My whole life’s been geared towards travel. I like to travel and discover for the sense of adventure that comes with the experience and for the entertainment it brings to my life. I love exploring places, I had seen in books or movies, trying out new cuisines and learning the customs. 


It’s revitalizing! Travelling simply makes you a better-rounded human being. 


The Purplenista: Which fashion labels are your favourite?


Pallavi: It has to be Not So Serious and then Valentino. 


The Purplenista: Why the name “Not So Serious”? 


Pallavi: When my friends and I discussed about starting a brand, I said I am not serious about doing something like this. And they said that is what you should call your brand. Without giving it any further thought, I decided to actually call my brand ‘Not So Serious’. 


The Purplenista: What was the inspiration behind your fashion label “Not So Serious”? 


Pallavi: I travel extensively and whenever I see something old at a flea market it evokes a sense of creating something beautiful. I love everything floral. Flowers inspire me. Whenever I see anything old, vintage or perhaps lace; I like to put them together and the initial stage of designing starts there. 


The Purplenista: What are the main markets that your “Not So Serious” caters to? 


Pallavi: 'Not So Serious’ believes in making fashion easy yet edgy, affordable yet stylish and fashion forward. The main market the brand caters to are India, France, Greece, Italy, Spain and UK. 



The Purplenista: Where do you find inspiration for your designs?


Pallavi: I like nature, so I have traveled a lot to scenic places apart from big cities. You see different craftsmen, their crafts, and techniques. You get to meet different artists and different people who have their own unique approach to fashion or design. Each time you see something beautiful, it feels like even we can do something with garments and there is so much to learn from it. Every time you meet people, you understand how their mind-sets are different, and with every trip it surprises me about how much there is to learn in this world. There is just so much all around and there is so much you can learn from it. 

The Purplenista: Your SS2015 collection resonates with pastels and delicate detailing. It would be great if you could tell us more about the collection?

Pallavi: Not So Serious by Pallavi Mohan presented its joyously seditious SS15 collection – Walk on the wild side, taking its signature style to more edgy this time. Garments are fashioned in body structured, straight and free flowing silhouettes that are easy to wear shapes with a sporty playful twist and a romantic heart. The design elements dictates delicacy and gives rise to silhouettes, showing movements and turning up the volume in a range of different forms. 

Pallavi Mohan's new line "Walk on the Wild Side"
The Purplenista: What colour trends do you see dominating 2015?


Pallavi: The heterogeneous fabrics and vivacious colors of the silhouettes add to the beauty of the collection. Flirtatious fabrics like chiffon, silk, organza and georgette interact with the more solid cottons and knitted textiles, creating fine details of textured embroidery with a play of light and color that evokes a sense of calm, but is also equally enticing with the pristine whites, acid greens, the elusive peach, dusky pinks, misty aqua and the deceptive nude. 


The Purplenista: What trends according to you are going to be big in the upcoming months in India and abroad?


Pallavi: Clean lines, cocoon silhouettes and neutral looks in fur, capes and feathers will be seen in the upcoming months for wrapping up against the cold. So get ready to ward off winter’s grip in pretty pastels with the combination of minimalism and futurism. 


The Purplenista: What are the top three must haves that every girl should have in her closet right now? 


Pallavi: As fall winter has already started, 3 must haves that every girl should have in her closet right now is: 

  • Stylish boots 
  • A leather jacket 
  • Scarf 


The Purplenista: If you could design clothes for anyone in the whole world, who would you that be and why? 


Pallavi: Honestly, why someone particular rather I want to see the whole world dressed up in Not So Serious. 


The Purplenista: What can we expect from you next?


Pallavi: A walk-in studio! Currently I have started working on my Okhla project that is going to be a store cum studio workshop where customers can walk in and experience the whole process of their garment production. It’s still in the pipeline but soon will be functional. 


The Purplenista: Other than fashion, which is your other love? 


Pallavi: Travel and food. 



The Purplenista: What advice would you give the upcoming young fashion designers of today? 

Pallavi: Based on the little things that I have learned over my career as a designer, the biggest piece of advice I would give to the upcoming fashion designers is Seek criticism, not praise. Value your work and always keep learning. It’s good to follow trends but make sure to keep your own identity and individuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment